Friday, April 23, 2010

T-28 Hours

Hi all,

Just wanted to recap what's going on so far since we're about 28 hours from being on our flight to Haiti (Sunday Boston Time 5:30 am).

Earlier this week I was on the phone with Elizabeth Augustin at UNICEF and Dr. Degraff, a doctor in Haiti, speaking about my project on health education through radio and they recommended I redirect my attention towards evaluating some of the health campaigns that have already been in use by UNICEF. Thus, I plan on spending the next week in Haiti evaluating the sound trucks that UNICEF used after the earthquake. Towards the end of the week I hope to meet with some of the community radio station owners to discuss what steps need to be taken to move these health campaigns towards the more rural areas surrounding Port-au-Prince.

Yesterday, we held our normal Thursday afternoon lectures. We all received flipcams that will allow us to take videos of our activities. I'll record my initial interview sometime tomorrow and post it on here. We spent much of the class discussing the logistical aspects of the trip with quick updates on where our projects currently stand.

Today, I went shopping with Marvin and Asha. I bought two handheld GPS units ($150 ea) to help track the routes of the sound trucks employed by UNICEF. One unit will be used by the water group.

Tonight was spent catching up with my group mates from my Math project lab class last term and reading up on radio health program evaluation strategies.

Tomorrow will be filled with packing, charging all my electronic equipment, and finishing up my last pset for 2.184.

Good night,

Amritaa